First off, I would like to apologize for the lack of activity on my blog. This past week I was involved in an intensive one week course of maritime rules of the road. This week meant lots of late nights, cramming, and monotonous memorization. But I passed and it’s over!
But I am writing this post thousands of feet in the air as we speak. I am headed home! Home is Southern California for me and I am sure that wherever your home is, that there is nothing else like it.
But in this post I want to talk about flying! I may be part of the minority, but I actually enjoy flying, for the most part. I say most part because there are times when flying is not so enjoyable (last minute boarding gate changes, noisy people, flight delays, etc. etc.). Why do I like flying? Well…
- “Me time”
- When I’m on a plane, I am sitting with complete strangers. Sure there may be some small talk, but for the most part, I am able to zone everyone out and just relax. It’s nice to just have some quiet time to yourself without any stress. I always bring my journal and write in it, as a calming activity.
- No phone service
- I actually like the fact that I am disconnected with social media, texting, and emails. Yes, there is wi-fi onboard, but I have never actually used it. With no phone service, I am able to do things that I normally am not engaged in on land. For instance, I get a lot of pages read from a book that I have been meaning to read for a while. I am also able to finally watch that movie I have wanted to watch for the past couple of months. Once again, “me time” is emphasized here.
- The window sights
- I always fly trans-continental U.S. flights due to my home and my school being on opposite coasts. Therefore I get a “free” overhead look of the entire southern half of the country! I am always at awe at how different the terrain/environment is in each state. My personal favorites are Colorado and Utah for their gorgeous canyons and mountains.
- The refreshments and snacks
- I almost always fly with Delta (on some occasions Southwest) and I love their snacks. Biscoff cookies are my absolute favorite. I would die for those cookies at any time, any day. As for drinks, I usually go with Ginger Ale because I never drink it on land.
- The destination
- This section applies mostly for when I am going from college -> home. Whether or not you enjoy flying, I am sure that you want to get to your destination. Always around 2-3 weeks before a flight, I am looking forward to go home. There is nothing that makes me happier than being on a plane and hearing the engines roar as I am brought from ground zero to thousands of feet in the air. Why? Because I will be able to go home with my loved ones. The destination is by far, the top reason why I like flying. And of course, if you’re flying for a vacation, there’s that kind of anticipation and excitement as well.